Expert talk about SAP FI Certification


Hello Everyone,
In this post I would like to share my experience of passing SAP FI Certification Exam. Recently I successfully passed SAP FI Certification with the score of 81%, at the end of the test they gave a printout of my scores per the competency area. Here it is:
Asset Accounting/Investment Management - 6 – 78%
Accounts Payable - 6 – 58%
Business Process/Integration - 6 – 90%
SAP Business Warehouse - 5 – 67%
Accounts Receivable - 6 -78%
New GL - 7 – 84%
GL - 4 – 96%
Basics of ABAP/Forms - 5 – 85%
Data Model /Tables/Interfaces - 5 – 71%
Basics of Authorization and Audit Requirements - 5 – 90%
Cash Management - 5 – 100%
Fundamental Business Knowledge - 6 – 45%
SAP Financials Portfolio - 5 – 78%
Financial Closing - 5 – 94%
I would love to share the questions I had during the exam, but to be honest I already do not remember them very well, and another (more important) reason is that I am not allowed to do it. But you can find some sample questions that are pretty much similar to the real test questions.
Still here are some very valuable advice from my site:
- 32 of the 80 questions were multi-choice. For questions with 5 possible choices, you had to choose 3 right answers, for those with 4 possible choices you had to choose 2 right answers. This was higher than I expected and I bet most I got wrong were multi choice where I got one choice wrong which means the whole question was marked wrong.
- I finished in an hour after my first pass. Spent next 2 reviewing answers and trying to memorize questions in case i failed and needed to take again.
- Overall level of difficulty I would say was medium. None of the questions were hard if you’ve worked with the product before. Most of the time I could easily eliminate obviously wrong answers and work with a smaller subset of answers.
- Was a bit more detailed in areas than I expected however. Some of the questions required detailed application knowledge i.e how you would use this in a real life situation, what if you got this error, what does it mean, what would you recommend to your client in this case type of questions. This exam is really designed for consultants and not end users. This is not an exam you can just memorize information on and pass. That’s the associate level exam which is designed for people right out of training with little application knowledge. Of course, you can’t answer the application questions if you don’t have the foundational knowledge.
- If you have a technical background in SAP like I do, the sections on ABAP/Forms/Authorization model will be easy for you. They make up a quarter of the exam giving you some breathing room in other sections.
- If you also have any SD or MM knowledge it will help you a lot on the integration questions. I have worked in both and understand the touchpoints. Pure FI/CO folks who work in a silo may have issues.
- In terms of study material, use TFIN50 and TFIN52, or if you can find the material listed in the syllabus, use those. The TFIN courses summarize the information from the other more detailed courses. I used a combination of both.
- Find mock exams online if you can. Be careful when quizzing using these as some of the questions are poorly worded and the answer keys can have mistakes. I will link to some resources I used at the end.
- As I did with my CFA studies, try to broaden your studies to beyond just what’s in the book. Look up YouTube videos on areas you may not be familar with. Find SAP FI/CO books and read the sections where you didn’t exactly understand the coursework. I highly recommend this approach. I had to read Asset Accounting a few times to really get it and then once I read another book on it, it just clicked.
- Use the Internet to your advantage. Google specific terms or concepts you don’t understand. There is a lot of knowledge out there around SAP and you may find an explanation that makes more sense than what you read in the book.
Good luck to all of you!